Back in 1975, a group of about 20 people applied for a small grant to put together an event for the people of Stokes County. At the time, there were very few opportunities in the county to come together as a regional community in festive celebration. The first Stokes Stomp was an immediate success and has continued to grow, drawing not only county residents but also sizeable numbers of visitors from the border counties of Virginia and from nearby North Carolina counties. The original core group of festival organizers formed the Stokes County Arts Council the following year, and many of them remain active in presenting the annual festival.
The mission of the Stokes County Arts Council is to support and promote the cultural arts in Stokes County, North Carolina. The Stokes County Arts Council continues to expand and to successfully present high quality arts and arts education programming for Stokes County citizens. Our programs create shared and lasting experiences that connect the participants to their heritage. The Stokes County Arts Council is committed to the promotion and support of the Arts through our current goals to:
- Support local artists and provide a means to promote their work
- Facilitate quality arts education programs in all Stokes County Schools
- Educate and provide opportunities for life-long learning for all citizens
- Target and identify Arts needs in the community
- Form meaningful community partnerships